In this first video tutorial we explore the latest update to the Garageband software, Garageband version 10.
Garageband is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) that comes free with all Apple computers. It's a great program for beginners musicians because it's easy to learn yet full of amazing features that even the most skilled musician and appreciate.
When you first open Garageband you can choose from templates preloaded with software instruments to get your project started right away.
Each comes with their own set of instruments from amplifiers to pianos to beat machines. For today's episode we're going to start with the "Songwriter" template.
The layout has changed in Garageband 10 from previous versions so let's get acquainted & identify the sections of the window.
- In the center of the screen is the Track area where you will record audio, add Loops & arrange the regions to build your project.
- Now located at the top of your screen is the Control bar. This Includes the playback controls, project settings (like Key & Beats Per Minute), as well as buttons to show or hide the different areas of GarageBand.
- The first button on the left is your Library: Here you can change the sound of a track by choosing a new Apple preset. You can also edit & save your own custom presets here.
- Smart Controls: Here you will find a set of visual controls that you can use to quickly modify the sound of the current track. From Distortion to Compression or the visual EQ you can customize the sound of your project from here.
- Editor Controls: This area is where you will make precise changes to individual regions and their contents. GarageBand features a set of editors for each Audio track, smart Drummer track and much much more.
- The Note Pad Feature opens up a text area within the garageband window where you can view, & edit project notes from settings to lyrics.
- Next to that is the Loop Browser. This gives you access to the included Apple library so you can search and preview loops, then add them to your project.
- The Media Browser is where ou can add other audio and movie files from from your computers hard drive.